Gulab Jamun recipe - Gulab Jamun Recipe with Khoya or mawa - Holi Special
Gulab jamun recipe to make any festival or party merrier and sweet.
हिन्दी में पढिये : Gulab Jamun Recipe with Khoya or mawa - Holi Special
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun Recipe with Khoya or mawa
- Soft mawa – 300 grams
- Paneer – ½ cup (100 grams)
- Refined flour – more than ½ cup (70 grams)
- Sugar – 3.5 cup (800 grams)
- Green cardamom – ½ tsp (coarsely ground)
- Cashews – 7 to 8 (finely chopped)
- Almonds – 7 to 8 (finely chopped)
- Ghee – for frying gulab jamun
How to make Gulab Jamun
Prepare the sugar syrup
Take sugar and 2 cups of water in a vessel. When the sugar dissolves in water completely let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes more on low flame.
Prepare mixture for gulab jamun
Take soft mawa (dhaap) and paneer in a plate. Crumble the paneer and knead until smooth and soft. After this add mawa to it and mash again to mix well. Also add 1/2 cup refined flour to it and prepare a smooth and soft dough.
Check the syrup
Take 1 to 2 drops of syrup in a bowl and let it cool down. Take some syrup on your thumb and finger, check if it gets gooey like honey. Sugar syrup is ready for making the gulab jamuns. Take off the vessel from flame and place it on net stand.
Heat enough ghee in a wok for deep frying the gulab jamuns. Meanwhile check the dough. Take some dough in your hands and make round balls from it. It should form a smooth dough ball as only then the dough will be ready for making the gulab jamuns.
Take cashews, almonds and green cardamom powder in a bowl. Add some mawa (1 tsp) as well and mix well. Stuffing is now ready.
Check the ghee
When the ghee is sufficiently hot drop some dough to it. Dough is frying well, ghee is hot enough. Reduce the flame to low. After this, for trial drop one gulab jamun to the ghee without stuffing. Gulab jamun should not splatter while frying and should not get puffy. If this happens that means dough has turned too soft. Take out the gulab jamun.
Mix 1 tbsp (10 to 12 grams) more of refined flour to the dough and knead it well until smooth. Again make a dough ball from the prepared dough and drop into medium hot oil and fry on low flame. Gulab jamun is frying well and is not puffing. Dough is now perfect. When the gulab jamun turns brown, take it our from ghee and drop into the syrup. Keep the syrup covered so that it doesn't cool down too quickly.
Stuff the gulab jamuns
Divide the dough into small portions. Take one dough ball and flatten it out with your fingers. Place some stuffing over it and close very nicely. Roll again and gulab jamun is ready. Likewise prepare remaining gulab jamuns as well.
Fry the gulab jamuns
Drop four gulab jamuns in the wok to fry. While frying make sure you don't touch them directly with the ladle, just move the ghee and to turn the gulab jamuns. When they turn little brown, then turn them using a ladle. Continue frying until gulab jamuns get golden brown in color.
When the gulab jamuns have turned golden brown, drain them out. While drying out hold the ladle over the wok so that extra ghee drains back to the wok. It takes 10 minutes to fry the gulab jamuns at once. Similarly stuff, fry and drop them in sugar syrup rest of the gulab jamuns as well. Drop the gulab jamuns in sugar syrup and let them remain drenched for 3 to 4 hours.
After 3 to 4 hours, gulab jamuns soak syrup and get sweet, but they taste tempting to eat the second day. Serve everyone's favorite gulab jamuns steaming hot and relish eating.
- Knead the dough really well until smooth.
- Make sure that the gulab jamuns are smooth and not cracked from any side. You will get smooth gulab jamuns.
- Take ghee in right quantity for frying the gulab jamuns making sure that they are nicely drenched in ghee.
- Instead of ghee, refined oil can also be used.
- Drop one gulab jamun to ghee to check. If it breaks while frying then mix some refined flour to the dough and knead again until smooth.
- If the gulab jamun squeeze a little after dropping them in syrup that means sugar syrup is little dense in consistency. Add some more water to the syrup and heat a little more. No drop the gulab jamuns to it.
- If you see any impurities in the sugar syrup then add 2 to 3 tbsp milk in the syrup. There will be foam formed on the surface of syrup, remove it with a spoon. You will get clean sugar syrup.
- After the ghee is rightly hot, reduce the flame. Keep the flame medium and fry the gulab jamuns on low flame.
- You can make gulab jamuns without stuffing as well but stuffed gulab jamuns taste better.
- Avoid adding gulab jamuns in too hot or too chilled sugar syrup. Keep it slightly warm.
- Sweet Recipes
- North Indian Recipes
- Traditional Sweet Recipes
- Indian Regional Recipes
- Festival recipes
- Holi recipes
- Deepawali Sweets Recipe
- Indian Festival Recipe
- Gulab Jamun recipe