Punjabi Sabut Moth Dal । Matki - Mat Beans Recipe
Moth ki Dal, also known as Rajasthani Matke ki daal for a unique taste.
Ingredients for Moth Dal :
- Soaked Whole Moth Dal - 1/2 cup ( 100 gms )
- Tomato - 1 ( 100 gms)
- Ghee - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Green Coriander - 2 to 3 tbsp (finely chopped )
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 pinch
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala - Less than 1/4 tsp
- Green chilies - 2 ( finely chopped)
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - Less than 1 tsp or to taste
- Baking Soda - 1 Pinch
How to make Matke ki Dal :
Take cleaned washed Moth dal, soaked in water for upto 7 to 8 hours or overnight. Remove the excess water from it.
Prepare paste from tomato.
To cooker Add soaked dal, add 2 cups water , salt, half turmeric powder, baking soda. Boil dal in cooker until a single whistle. Cook dal for 5 more minutes on low flame. Then turn off flame. Let dal stay till pressure from the cooker escapes.
Pour ghee in a pan. Heat it then add cumin seeds. Reduce flame. Add asafoetida, leftover turmeric powder,coriander powder, green chili, ginger paste. Slightly roast the spices. Add tomato puree, followed by red chili powder. Roast the masala till ghee separates from it.
Once masala is ready, add dal from cooker to it. Add garam masala, green coriander and mix well.Cover and cook the dal for 2 minutes.
Take out the Yummy Moth dal in a bowl.Pour some ghee oer it and garnish with green coriander and ginger julienne. Have an enjoyable meal. Relish this dal with roti , Naan or rice. It will be liked by both kids as well as elders.
- Adding baking soda boils the dal much faster.
- You can increase the quantity of red chili if want more spicy or reduce it if making for kids.
- You can use oil instead of Ghee.
Punjabi Sabut Moth Dal | साबुत मोठ करी । Matki - Mat Beans Recipe