How To Make Dal Bati – Daal Baati recipe
Dal Bati is a typical specialty of Rajasthan. It's very delicious. Some times you should make Dal Bati. You would enjoy eating it.
Ingredients for Bati
- Wheat Flour – 400 gm (one small bowl)
- Semolina – 100 gm (one small bowl)
- Ghee – 100 gm (5 tablespoon)
- Cumin seed - ½ small spoon
- Carom seed - ½ small spoon
- Baking Powder - ½ small spoon
- Salt – as per taste
How To make Dal Bati
Mix flour and semolina in a utensil. Now mix 3 tablespoon ghee, baking powder, cumin seed, carom seed and salt in the utensil. Now with the help of 2 small bowls of water knead the flour mixture into a tight dough. Now keep the dough aside for half an hour. Now make medium sized balls from the dough. If you want, you can also fill green pea or dry fruits pitthi, in these balls.
Now there are two methods to make the batis.
1. Making batis by first boiling them in water
Put 1 liter water in a utensil and put it on the burner, for boiling. When the water starts boiling, put the round balls into the water and let them boil for 15 minutes. Take out the boiled balls in a plate. Now put them in an oven till they turn brown. Now dip the baked batis in melted ghee and take them out in a plate or bowl.
2. Making batis without boiling them
Bake the round balls in an oven, while turning them, till they turn brown. Now take them out in a plate. Burst the baked batis, dip them in melted ghee and take them out in a plate or bowl.
Both the batis are good but I like the boiled ones better.
Ingredients for Dal
- White Lentils – 100 gm (one small bowl)
- Green Lentils – 50 gm (half small bowl)
- Chickpea Lentils – 50 gm (half small bowl)
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Asafetida – 1 to 2 pinch
- Cumin seed – one small spoon
- Turmeric Powder – half small spoon
- Coriander seed powder – one small spoon
- Red chili powder – half small spoon
- Tomato – 2 to 3
- Green chili – 3 to 4
- Ginger – 2 inch long piece
- Coriander – half small bowl (cut finely)
- Salt – As per taste ( one small spoon)
How to make Dal
Wash and soak the pulses in water for one hour.
Put soaked pulses in the cooker, along with one glass water and salt. Now place the cooker on the burner for boiling. After one whistle cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the burner.
Grind tomato, green chili and one inch piece of ginger, finely in a grinder.
Put 1 ½ tablespoon ghee in the frying pan and heat it. Add asafetida and cumin seed. After the cumin seed is fried, mix turmeric powder and coriander seed powder. Stir 2 to 3 times. Add grinded tomato mixture, red chili powder and one inch long ginger (cut finely). Fry the masala till the oil starts floating on top of the mixture. Mix this mixture in the cooker. Now mix half of the coriander in the lentils, inside the cooker.
Dal is ready now. Take it out in a bowl and garnish with the remaining coriander and ghee.
Dal Bati are ready now to serve and eat piping hot.