Dal Makhani Recipe
Dal Makhani is a favorite dish of every Punjabi and is most popular in the regions of Punjab and Haryana. It is rich in protein content and also contains fiber. Let's make Dal Makhani in the lunch today.
इस रेसीपी को हिन्दी में पढिये - Dal Makhni recipe in Hindi
Ingredients for Dal Makhani
- Black Sabut Urad - 100 gms. (1/2 cup)
- Black channa or Rajma - 50 gms. (1/4 cup)
- Baking soda - 1/3 tea spoon.
- Tomato - 4 (medium sized)
- Green chilli - 2-3
- Cream or Malai - 2 table spoon.
- Ginger - 2 inch long piece.
- Butter or desi ghee - 1 or 2 table spoon.
- Heeng - 1-2 pinch.
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tea spoon.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon.
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 tea spoon.
- Garam masala - less than 1/4 tea spoon.
- Salt - 1 tea spoon (according to the taste)
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 tea spoon (chopped)
Method - How to make Dal Makhani
Wash the urad dal, chana or rajma and soak the for 8 hours or overnight in the water.
Strain the water from the soaked dal, wash then again with fresh water and put them into the cooker along with baking soda, salt and 21/2 cup water (the quantity of water is three times the quantity of dal). Close the lid of the cooker and pressure for upto 1 whistle. After the whistle lower down the flame and cook the dal for another 5-6 minutes. Turn off the flame.
Peel, wash and cut the tomatoes, green chilli and giger. Put them into the mixer and make a paste. Take a small piece of ginger and grate it or cut into small pieces and put it in a separate bowl.
Heat oil in a pan and tamper the heeng and cumin seeds into it. Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli to it and roast the masala for a while. Put tomato paste and cream into the masala and roast until the oil starts to float to at the top of it.
Mix dal into the roasted masala and pour water into it according to your preferred consistency of the curry. Once the water starts to boil cook the dal for another 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame. Mix garam masala and coriander leaves in the dal.
Dal Makhani is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and butter. Serve it with naan, parantha, rice and chapati.
If you use onions and garlic in your recipe then chop 1 onion and 5-6 garlic. Put them into the pan once the cumin seeds are roasted well and turns brown. Roast the onions till they turn light pink in colour. Now follow the procedure as described above.
- This preparation is for 4 people.
- Time taken - 30 minutes.