Handvoh recipe uses very little oil or ghee. It is good for people who prefer eating less oil. All the ingredients needed for making Handvo must be available in your kitchen. Let's make Handvo today!
Handvoh is a delicious Gujarati dish. It is made from lentil, rice and vegetables, so it is rich in proteins and vitamins.
Ingredients for Handvo
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Bengal gram (Chana dal) – 1/4 cup
- Green gram (Moong dal)– 1/4 cup
- Black gram (Urad dal)– 1/4 cup
- Curd – ½ cup
- Green chili – 2-3
- Ginger (Adrak) – 1 ½” piece
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) – ¼ teaspoon
- Bottle gourd (lauki) – 1 cup (grated)
- Carrot (Gajar)– ½ cup (grated)
- Cabbage (Patta gobhi)– ½ cup (grated)
- Baking powder or Eno salt – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste (1 ¼ teaspoon)
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - to taste (1 teaspoon) optional
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Green coriander - 2 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds (Til) – 1 teaspoon
- Green coriander (Hara dhaniya) – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
How to make Handvo Recipe
Wash rice and soak in water for 5-6 hours. Mix all lentils, wash and soak in water for 5-6 hours.
Drain water from lentils and rice. Grind rice with ginger and green chili and keep in a bowl. Grind lentils, beat curd. Mix all pastes well.
Keep this mixture in a warm place for 10-12 hours to ferment. Use a big utensil so that the fluffed mixture stays in it.
Add grated vegetables, turmeric powder and salt to the fluffed mixture and mix well. Taste and check seasonings.
Heat oil in a small karai(wok). Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds. Turn off flame. Add half of tempering to the mixture and keep the rest.
Handvo is made in the following ways.
1. Handvo can be steamed like dhokla.
Add baking powder to the mixture, stirring quickly with spoon. Put this mixture in a utensil, and place it in a pressure cooker or any other vessel that can be used for steaming. Steam for 20 minutes (Check by inserting a knife tip in handvo, it is ready if not sticking to knife tip). Turn off gas.
Keep in a plate when cool and cut in any shape you like. Top with rest of the tempering and garnish with green coriander.
2. Handvo can also be prepared in an oven like a cake.
Add baking powder to the mixture, stirring quickly with spoon. Put this mixture in a utensil, and bake in oven. Top with rest of the tempering. Bake at 200 degree centigrade. Test if handvo is ready.
- Take out of oven when ready, cool and cut in any shape you like. Garnish with green coriander. Serve with green coriander chutney.
- You can add and change any vegetables you like and are available in your kitchen to handvo.